Hands up who doesn’t like Chocolate Orange!! Well I can never say NO to anything chocolate in any shape or form, so hands up from me straight away.
The first time I ever tasted anything “Chocolate Orange” was when I was eight years old. It was a “Terry’s Chocolate Orange”. The reason that it stuck for ever in my memory was that it was Easter and my Auntie had dropped down Chocolate Easter Eggs for my brother & I. He got a Cadbury’s Chocolate Buttons Egg which was huge in my eyes and had a big bag of chocolate buttons inside..
I got a Terry’s Chocolate Orange which was just that a chocolate orange with no hidden sweets inside.. I was absolutely disgusted and kicked up a huge fuss but that didn’t stop me from demolishing it in the end.. I absolutely loved it.
So this Chocolate Orange Tray Bake brings back all those memories for me.. I always find it amazing how the smell or the taste of something can trigger childhood memories that you had long forgotten about. Now this cake has NO Terry’s Chocolate Orange in it, it’s getting its Orange hit from a delicious Orange Liqueur that I brought back from Tenerife. .
We have been very lucky to have spent many happy family holidays in Tenerife. It’s one of my most favorite places in the world. I first came across this liqueur when it was used in a local Canarian Coffee called a Barraquito
It’s an absolutely delicious Coffee with 5 layers in it.. The locals call it a pick-me-up. It picked me right up I can tell you !! It begins with a condensed milk layer, the liqueur, more condensed milk, coffee, and topped with frothed milk, coffee heaven. I had quite a few of these over the week I was there!
The orange liqueur that is used in this particular coffee is just perfect for this Chocolate Orange Tray bake.
Of course you don’t have to use liqueur, orange-juice or orange extract and orange zest will also give that orange hit too.
It’s a very simple recipe for a light chocolate sponge. I bake it in this mini square pan that I picked up in Home Store & More
If you don’t have one , no worries just use an ordinary rectangle pan and cut into squares. Collecting Cook Books & Baking Tins is my thing!! I call it a hobby, my hubbie calls it a problem and he has yet to find my secret stash!! lol.
A dusting of icing sugar would finish the Chocolate Orange Tray Bake off nicely but why stop at Nice, I’m going for OMG with a thin layer of salted caramel and a fruity orange slice.
I have also made a Chocolate Lemon Version of this by just swapping everything Orange with Lemon Juice & Zest and with a topping of Lemon Curd
Hope you get a chance to try the recipe out. It’s a great hit with everybody who tasted it.
- 225g caster sugar
- 275g butter
- 250g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp orange juice or ( if you want to make it extra special use 2tsp Orange Liqueur)
- 1 pkt of milk chocolate chips
- 1 jar of salted caramel
- Pkt of orange jelly slices for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line a 25-30cm x 20cm tin with baking paper or us a mini square pan and spray with some cake release
- Put the sugar, butter, flour, eggs, orange zest and juice (or liqueur) into a large mixing bowl. Mix gently with an electric whisk
- Fold in the chocolate chips and pour into the lined tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes– if the cake starts to colour too quickly, cover with foil. Leave to cool in the tin.
- When cake is cold cut into equal squares, spread a heaped tbsp of salted caramel on each square.
- Top with an Orange Jelly Slice or some grated Orange Zest and grated Chocolate
- Serve with some fresh whipped cream or a dollop of vanilla ice-cream
SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG
🙂 please leave a COMMENT by clicking the comment bubble at the top of the post