Easter’s nearly here and the shop shelves are stocked with Easter Eggs of all types including the “infamous Cadbury’s Cream Eggs”. I was all set to do my traditional Easter Creme Egg Bake on Saturday, that is until I came across a box of Red Ruby Treasure – the first of this years Keeling’s Irish Strawberries.
The Irish Strawberry truly is a thing of beauty and taste. I couldn’t resist the call, all thoughts of creme eggs gone from my mind . I had the perfect idea for these little beauties Strawberry & Cream Nutella Cupcakes.
Strawberries and cream are the perfect duo but add some Nutella to the mix and you have the best threesome in the world!!! My kids are Nutella fanatics. They have it on toast & pancakes, sandwiched between two rich tea biscuits is absoloutely one of their favorite ways. I’ve used Nutella in big cakes before -such as my Strawberry Oreo Fudge Cake before but have never used it in a cup cake.
I got my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe and add a heaped teaspoon of Nutella to the batter
When the luscious chocolate cupcakes came out of the oven, I knew I was on to a winner, even before they were topped with fresh cream. The smell was amazing.
I wanted to incorporate the strawberries into the frosting of the cupcakes. I was originally going to chop up the strawberries and add them to the cream before I whipped it, but that would have turned the cream a pink colour and I wanted to keep it “cream”. I decided to whip the cream and fold in the chopped strawberries at the end.
They would have been perfect at this stage but I think they need a “strawberry crown”. A strawberry dipped in chocolate and covered in sprinkles makes the perfect crown.
This is a very easy recipe. If you don’t like cream you could use vanilla butter cream instead. These pretty little cup cakes would make a perfect Easter Sunday treat
- 40g cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 4tbsp hot water
- 175g unsalted butter
- 165g caster sugar
- 120g self-raising four
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 500ml fresh cream
- 1 tub of fresh strawberries
- 150g of chocolate for melting
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC and line a cupcake tin with liners and set aside.
- Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl and add the boiling water.
- Mix until it forms a thick paste.
- Add the flour, baking powder, butter, sugar and eggs to the mix.
- Mix until combined.
- Half fill the liners with the batter, add a heaped tsp of Nutella to each cupcake and top with the remaining batter.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a rack.
- Whilst cakes are cooling make the frosting
- Melt the chocolate and dip 12 strawberries, cover in sprinkles and leave to harden
- Chop six strawberries up small.
- Whip the fresh cream to a stiff peak & fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Pipe a swirl of cream on each cupcake and top with a coated strawberry
If you fancy getting touch 🙂 please leave a COMMENT by clicking the comment bubble at the top of the post. I would to hear from you
Make sure you check out my FACE BOOK BAKING PAGE for more recipes