Friday night has always been movie night in our family.
It started out with just the hubbie and I and so began the Friday night ritual , heading to Xtra Vision to rent the DVD, arguing over what DVD, picking up the takeaway on the way home , which also involved an argument over what kind!! It always ended up being a Chinese-but this was all part of the ritual, the sign that it was the start of the weekend.
When the kids came along it morphed into Family Movie Night. We still had our takeaway, but the kids also had their chocolate treats and popcorn. The movie well no arguments there, it was always a Disney Movie a “princess” movie – yep my daughter is the eldest and was the boss over her three younger brothers so they watched what she said!! It was so ironic that it was a princess movie, our Amy was a tomboy, hated wearing dresses unless she could wear wellies, tortured her barbies and robbed her little brother’s toy cars, but she absolutely loved Disney Princess movies. Cinderella was and still is her favorite Disney movie today. ” I remember having to watch Cinderella or “Cinderilli” as she called it for seven weeks straight.
The four kids are all grown now, but we still have our family night, sometimes just hubbie and I , or just one of the kids or all of the kids and their many friends, which brings me back to what this post is all about Rolo Cupcakes – the unexpected movie treat.
We are most definitely a Syfy loving family and are counting the days till the new Star Wars film is out, so to get us all in the mood last Friday became “Star Wars” movie night. I bought the chocolate treats, the popcorn, but while making us nachos I accidentally ate one of the two bags of Rolo.
I swear I was only going to take one but before I knew it one bag was gone. Ok now I have a big problem, a house full of teenagers and not enough chocolate to go round. yes.. real “loaves & fishes time. How can I make one bag of Rolo feed a group of teenagers – make Rolo Cupcakes of course.
You can never go wrong with a chocolate cupcake, even better when filled with caramel, finished off with a yummy chocolate buttercream and topped with a ROLO. Yep most definitely a win win all round , the kids get their chocolate treat , I’m “the best mum ever” according to them and I get to keep the last rolo for someone special “Me” I think I deserved it.
This is a very quick and easy recipe , but use your own favorite cupcake recipe if you prefer. Dollop a big spoonful of caramel into the batter, bake for 20 mins. Pipe some yummy chocolate buttercream on top.
- 100g plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter (softened)
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg,
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 JAR SALTED CARAMEL/TIN CARAMEL
- 1-2 PACKETS ROLO
- 600g icing sugar sifted
- 200g unsalted butter
- 80g cocoa powder
- 80ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a free standing electric mixer (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is well mixed.
- Whisk the milk, egg, and vanilla extract together in a jug ,then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture then the other remaining ½ of egg mixture ,beat to combine and turn the mixer up to high speed.
- Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not over mix.
- Drop a good tablespoon of the mixture into the paper cases, drop a heaped tablespoon of caramel into each cupcake and cover with another tablespoon batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. Leave too cool.
- Beat icing sugar, butter until white & creamy add the cocoa powder. Beat for a few mins on high speed
- Turn down to a low speed and add milk gradually, (you may not need all of it) once mixed turn up to a high speed again and beat for approx. 5 mins and mixture is light and fluffy.
- Put frosting in an icing bag and pipe a swirl of buttercream on each cupcake.
- Top each swirl with a Rolo
This is a a delicious cupcake, but by all means use your own favorite recipe if you have one
🙂 please leave a COMMENT by clicking the comment bubble at the top of the post