So here we are, November all ready and the countdown to Christmas has begun in earnest. The shops are decked out in all their Christmas finery and playing Christmas music non-stop. I was shocked to hear today that Santa will be arriving next week in my local shopping centre, yes for real!! He comes earlier every year.
But best of all my favourite Christmas drink the “Black Forest Hot Chocolate” is now back on the menu at Costa. Yes, Christmas is most definitely on its way so what better time for some early holiday baking.
I love upside down cakes, and this Raspberry & Cranberry “Mulled Wine” version is so delicious and rustic. The basic recipe is very versatile and can be used with many different kinds of fruit and berries, but the combination of raspberry and cranberry is really a winner. The addition of mulled wine with its festive spices really gives it the Christmas “feel,” which is what I wanted here.
Quick and easy to put together this beautiful cake has all the flavour and taste of Christmas. The buttermilk and almonds help make a really moist cake. It’s just scrumptious served warm on its own or with a dollop of whipped fresh cream. Topped with some frosted cranberries and mint leaves it’s simply Christmas Heaven on a plate.
This recipe works equally as well with frozen fruit – its always handy to keep a few bags of frozen fruit in the freezer.
If you like this cake then please take a look at my other easy tasty recipes for a
The classic berry upside down cake is given the Christmas "feel" by the addition of cranberries and Mulled Wine. A really delicious hint of Christmas
- ¼ Glass mulled wine
- 300g cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 300g raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 450g sugar
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 250g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 50g ground almond
- 250ml buttermilk
- Grease an 8-Inch Spring form Pan with butter and line with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 180°c/350f
- In a saucepan heat the cranberries and 300g of the sugar & mulled wine over medium heat, just until the cranberries start to burst and sugar melts.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the raspberries.
- Pour the berries into the prepared pan.
- Cream together the butter, remainder of sugar, zest and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 5-8 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, scraping after each egg.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and ground almond. Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mix to incorporate, then add half the buttermilk.
- Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Mix just until it is all smooth.
- Spread the batter evenly over the berries.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet covered with foil, just in case the berry juices leak from the pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool for about 30 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a platter.
- Lovely with custard or a big dollop of cream, a little hint of Christmas
If your stuck for BAKING CONVERSIONS. Click the Baking Conversions page tab at the top for a very helpful chart.
Hope you enjoy this yummy “Christmas” recipe!
Make sure you check out my FACEBOOK BAKING PAGE for more easy Christmas treats.