I love a simple recipe, one of those that uses up ingredients from what you have to hand in your press, fridge or freezer. Thrown together in a few minutes, bakes fast and most important of all tastes delicious… Yep this Raspberry & Chocolate Buttermilk Cake is most definitely my kind of bake…..
We all have our “Go To” recipes.. I have 3 favorites that I always use to adapt for other recipes
Lemon Drizzle Cake (this was the first cake i ever baked in Home Economics Class)
My Nana’s Chocolate Cake
Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
The Strawberry Yum Yum is what this Raspberry & Chocolate Buttermilk Cake is based on. It was nicknamed the Yum Yum cake by my kids, because that’s what everyone says after the first mouthful…..
Yesterday I found a bag of frozen raspberries in the bottom of the freezer whilst I was looking for fish fingers for a Fish Finger Buttie, one of the very few things I can cook without burning. Did I ever mention that I CAN’T cook, bake absolutely but cooking is definitely not a skill I possess in ANY shape or form. Any way back to the bag of frozen raspberries!!
Well what can I do with these? Muffins sound good with a chocolate topping and maybe some raspberry jam in the middle , but a Strawberry Yum Yum sounds even better especially if you swap the strawberries for raspberries then add some chocolate.
A little chocolate never hurts in a cake, and what a cake , this Raspberry & Chocolate Buttermilk Cake is so delicious. Eaten warm on a plate with a dollop of custard just heaven or let it go cold and it’s just perfect with a cuppa!!
What’s so good about this recipe that it works better with frozen fruit then it does with fresh fruit. If you are anything like me you will always have a couple of bags of frozen fruit in the freezer and sometimes it’s much easier to bake with frozen fruit then fresh especially with fresh raspberries, which tend to go mushy if they are too ripe.
This recipe is quick and easy and most of all it tastes absolutely delicious. You can never go wrong with a Raspberry and Chocolate partnership
If you have no buttermilk just replace it with natural yogurt
- 110g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- ½ pkt milk chocolate chips
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 175g caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 125ml buttermilk
- ¾-1 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a larger bowl, beat the softened butter and of sugar with an electric mixer (or hand-held mixer) at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Now beat in vanilla, add the egg and beat well.
- Mix in the flour mixture in 3 batches alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a cake pan and smooth the top. Place the raspberries evenly in the batter.
- Bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto a rack or platter and continue to cool for another 10 to 15 minutes. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
This would work equally with any kind of frozen berries
🙂 please leave a COMMENT by clicking the comment bubble at the top of the post