June Bank Holiday time already!!! When I was young it was called “Whit Weekend” and I have no idea why..I just remember it always being sunny and warm. It really was the start of summer for kids. We had no video games or mobile phones, we actually talked to each other face to face, came home when we were hungry..God I feel old now
Not to-day however its been raining all day, extremely windy and we even had an orange weather warning in June!!!! What is going on. Not that my boys noticed, the weather doesn’t effect the X Box it seems.
I’ll let you in a secret I don’t mind the rain that much, it gives me the perfect excuse to clean the house.. ha ha only joking..cleaning is my least favorite thing to do and will never ever be on top of my things to do on a bank holiday. If you want to find me i’ll be in the kitchen baking, never ever cooking – because I can’t cook, I leave that to the hubbie .
So that’s what my daughter Amy and I did to-day..watch “Frozen” on the lap top while we baked. Watching Disney Films when the boy’s are not around is our “thing” even though she’s 20 and I’m – well definitely not telling !!! We even found the perfect way to get the boys out of the house when we some girly time just play “let it go” full blast and there gone!! Works on Males of ALL ages
Well to-day Amy’s making a Peach Cobbler one of her Dad’s favorites and I’m going to brighten up the remainder of the day with something chocolate – –Aero Mint Chocolate Bubbles to be precise. I’m going to use these in a Mint Chocolate Swiss Roll. These are my new favorite sweets… I bought 3 packets for this recipe because I knew Amy and I would go through at least one pack before we even started.
I know some people are truly scared of making a swiss roll and I have to admit it took me a few trys to get it right. My main mistake was leaving it too long to bake it in the oven they really only need about 12- 15 mins.. and always roll it in to shape while it’s still warm, use a damp clean tea cloth to help you do this
Ok so you might get a few cracks but a light dust of icing sugar and you won’t notice..I’m using melted chocolate in this recipe to cover my cracks!!
A lovely light butter cream is just perfect in any swiss roll but I decided to go the whole hog here and use fresh cream AND mascarpone cheese in this mint chocolate swiss roll . I also added a little mint extract and lightly coloured it with some green food colouring paste.. you don’t have to do this – normal cream colour is perfect I just wanted a mint looking effect
I chopped up a few Aero Bubbles and added to the Mint Cream and also used them decorate the top of the mint chocolate swiss roll
Make sure you stick the balls on while the chocolate is still soft so they stick on
a yummy mint chocolate swiss roll given a luxurious touch by the addition of whipped mascarpone cream
- 100g self-raising flour
- 25g Cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- Icing sugar for sprinkling
- 250ml cream
- 1 tub mascarpone
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2tsp peppermint essence
- 1 pkt Aero mint Bubbles
- green colouring paste or liquid
- Pre-heat the oven to 220Cand grease a swiss roll tin (13x 9 in) and line with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until light and frothy and then add the sifted flour, carefully folding it into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for around 10 minutes, until it’s lightly browned and coming away from the tin at the edges.
- Place some baking paper on a work surface and sprinkle with caster sugar, before upending the sponge from the tin and peeling off the baking paper. Neaten the edges and leave to cool.
- Whist cake is cooling chop up some aero chocolate bubbles
- Whip cream & Mascarpone & 2tbsp icing sugar and add enough green colour to get a mint colour, add peppermint extract and some chopped aero bubbles
- Spread with mint cream and roll into shape, cover top of sponge with melted chocolate and decorate with aero mint bubbles.
make sure you roll the swiss roll with a damp cloth whilst it is still warm
🙂 please leave a COMMENT by clicking the comment bubble at the top of the post