The leaves are falling from the trees, the mornings are beginning to get frosty and all around us are hues of golden brown and beautiful reds. Yes Autumn has finally arrived in all its golden glory.
Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year. I especially love all the “Tastes” it brings, cinnamon, ginger, toffee apples to name but a few. It’s when comfort baking really comes into its own. There is absolutely nothing more delicious and comforting than an Apple & Blackberry Pie or an old-fashioned Blueberry Up-Side down cake . I’m really looking forward to sharing a few new delicious Autumn recipes over the next few weeks with you all, but for now I want to talk Halloween and these really fun Halloween Malteser Spider Cookies.
There is no escaping the fact that Halloween is just four weeks away. The shops are covered in Halloween decorations and sweets. My kids have already decided on their Halloween costumes and I have the annual horror movie (which is a family tradition) all picked out. This year it will be Stephen Kings IT. We all hate clowns in this house so this is the perfect movie for us !! So this year, I plan to get my Halloween baking off to an early start – I have some brilliant recipes to share and I want to try to get them all on the Blog this year .
This great Malteser Halloween Spider Cookie is one from last year that I never got to share on my Blog. When I asked my kids what was their favorite bake from last Halloween was, this was top of the list. I have to admit it’s a big favorite of mine too.
So simple to make and so much fun to decorate and of course it tastes absolutely yummy, what more can you ask for in a cookie.
Adapted from the very basic and everybody’s favorite thumbprint cookie, this is a really super easy kid friendly bake. Instead of jam in the thumbprint we have a Malteser for the spider’s head. I used melted milk chocolate to pipe on the legs and rolled some icing fondant for the eyes. When I say I did – I mean the kids did. Yes it’s messy but then the best bakes always are and we had so much fun making these.
- 230g Self raising flour
- 115g Butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- Half tsp vanilla extract or zest of 1 lemon
- 115g Caster sugar
- 1 pkt Maltesers
- 1 pkt chocolate chips
- White fondant for eyes
- Preheat oven 180c/350F
- Sift flour into bowl,, add butter and mix until looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar.
- Add beaten egg and milk, vanilla to make a dough..(you may not need all the milk just enough to make a stiff dough - add more flour if dough too wet).
- Roll Dough & break into small balls.
- Place balls on baking tray, spaced apart and press your thumbprint into middle.
- Bake for 15 mins.
- Melt chocolate chips and place in icing bag.
- Put Maltesers in middle of cooled cookie and use melted chocolate to pipe legs around each cookie (I used a bit of the melted chocolate to stick the malteser in) use white fondant for eyes..ps i used food pen for eyes.
If your stuck for BAKING CONVERSIONS. Click the Baking Conversions page tab at the top for a very helpful chart
Hope you like the recipe as much as our family does, it is a very easy bake.
Make sure you check out my FACE BOOK BAKING PAGE for more easy recipes,