Well it’s the middle of February all ready, St Valentines Day has been & gone and I’ve had my fill of chocolate for this week!
I need something special to brighten up a rainy gloomy Friday and there is only ONE thing that can do that for me – Zingy and Zesty LEMON. Yes,most definitely something lemonicious to clear away the cobwebs. So what to choose, my Mum’s Lemon Drizzle Loaf, Lemon Curd Sponge Tray Bake or delicious moorish Lemon yogurt muffins, “decisions”. Maybe I should bake them all lol, but I think it’s going to be a muffin day.
So say a big hello to my “Lemonicious Lemon & Poppy Seed Muffins
These muffins are lemon perfection – made with fresh lemon juice & lemon zest. I use greek lemon yogurt to keep them lovely & moist. To make them extra special on this gloomy day I’m adding a couple of teaspoons of poppy seeds for a little texture & crunch. Lemon & Poppy seeds are such a classic and you can never go wrong with a classic, but I will add my own little twist, a topping of melted white chocolate which I coloured a lemon colour with come candy colouring.
With the edible flowers on top they are a real hint of Spring & absolutely muffin lemonicious.
A few hints and tips when making muffins –
- Never over mix your batter – this will make your muffins very tough
- I always bake my muffins for the first 5mins at 200C and then turn the oven down to 180C.
- My Mother’s Tip – Always sift your flour twice.
- Uses paper cases in your muffin tin – it stops them from going too brown round the sides & I think they rise better.
These very Lemonicious Muffins are delicious any time of the day. They make a great weekend breakfast , especially if you have a group of people to feed.
Brighten up your day with these "LEMONICIOUS" LEMON & POPPY SEED MUFFINS. Topped with White Chocolate and edible flowers fore a real hint of Spring.
- 150g caster sugar
- 260g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/4tsp salt
- 125ml veg oil
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 180ml Greek yogurt
- 150g melted white chocolate
- Yellow candy colouring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C & line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a big bowl, mix together the caster sugar with the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl whisk, together the flour, salt, baking powder, soda & add it to the caster sugar.
- In a jug mix together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice and veg oil, add these wet ingredients into the dry ones.
- Mix together very slowly – DO NOT OVER BEAT.
- Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin about ¾ full in each.
- Bake the muffins for the first 10mins at 200C and then turn down the oven to 180C & bake for 15 mins or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave them to cool for 10 mins before removing from the tin
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of water on a low heat
- Add a few drops of yellow candy colouring for a lovely lemon colour (optional)
- Using a spoon spread the chocolate over each muffin and top with an edible flower
The Greek yogurt can be substituted with sour cream, & if you have no candy colouring - no worries just leave it white
If you love Lemon as much as I do, the why not try some of my other lemon recipes –
Don’t forget to get your FREE copy of my new eBook “EASY BAKE CUPCAKES & CHOCOLATE TREATS” .
Click HERE for your free download link.
If your stuck for BAKING CONVERSIONS. Click the Baking Conversions page tab at the top for a very helpful chart.
Make sure you check out my FACEBOOK BAKING PAGE for more easy baking treats.