We’ve just said goodbye to Easter and all the chocolate that goes with it. What I really want now is something citrus and light , something Lemon would do the trick.
Though I have a confession I did buy two Mars Easter Eggs yesterday in Tesco. In my defense they were reduced to one euro, and I did need them to make a batch of Mars Bar Brownies for my nieces party, (you can find that recipe here on my FB Baking Page ) But what I was really craving was something Lemon.
Lemon for me is the taste and smell of Summer – not that there is any sign of summer at the moment the rain hasn’t stopped in two days. That’s were these little Lemon & Lime Baby Bundts come in, small but packed with the taste of summer. You can’t go wrong with lemon, it’s a classic flavour. I mean who can say no to a lemon drizzle cake at any time of year.
These little bundts are that bit extra special, lemon with a hint of lime and rum , all the flavours of my favorite summer cocktail “The Mojito” (and I never say no to one of these.)
When I first made these I was lucky to have a jar of “Mojito” jam that my friend brought me back from France, but since then I’ve used lime marmalade and a little lemon curd if I have any to hand. This works just as good. If your feeling brave you could use a drop or two of real rum in the batter or just used rum extract.
This is a very simple recipe, bakes in less than 20 mins. I used some silicone mini bundt pans to bake these in. You could also use a 12 cup mini bundt pan. “Mini” is the key here, it works just right for this recipe, and of course they look very pretty and cute the perfect amount of a lemon hit in each mouthful. I’m sure this recipe would work in a normal size bundt tin but I’ve yet to try it. These always go down very well at my kid’s school bake sale. I’m always asked to make a couple of batches of “those lemony thingys” come bake sale time, that’s they’re called in the school.
Enjoy the recipe
- 200g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1tbsp lemon zest
- 1tbsp lime zest
- the juice of a lemon & lime
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- 2 tbsp lime marmalade
- 100g greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp of rum extract
- Melted white chocolate for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Spray a 12-cup mini bundt cake pan with baking spray, or use little silicone bundts ( I got some in Aldi)
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy and light, about 3-4 minutes. Add eggs and mix well. Add lemon & zest and juice’s of both and mix well. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture along with half of the yogurt and mix, to combine. Repeat & combine.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and mix, just to combine, add lemon curd and lime marmalade.
- Add vanilla/rum extract and mix gently
- Add 2 Tbsp to each bundt cake cavity. Don’t overfill!!!! About ½ way is perfect.
- Bake 15-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in several cakes comes out clean and cake edges are golden brown.
- When cakes are cold drizzle with melted white chocolate and top with a little lemon curd & lime marmalade and lime zest
If you fancy getting touch 🙂 please leave a COMMENT. I would to hear from you.
Make sure you check out my FACE BOOK BAKING PAGE for more recipes