Last week the “whole” family got to do something really “Christmassy”. It was absolutely a rare occurrence for our family – with work, school, college & football – I can never get everybody together!
So last Sunday I pulled everyone out of bed early (and I do mean pulled), packed 3 flasks of hot chocolate and we headed up to Dublin to see the Coca Cola Truck. In our house Coca Cola is synonymous with Christmas. When the kids where young they refused to open their advent calender’s until the Christmas Coke Ad came on the TV. Even to this day they wait patiently for it to appear on the TV.
It is really funny how TV Advertisements have become so popular over Christmas, with all the big company’s trying to outdo one another!! John Lewis especially spends millions on its Christmas Advertising, but our favourite will always be the Christmas Coca Cola Ad which is why it was such a lovely treat to see the Coca Cola truck “in person”
When we got home later on I thought Coca Cola Chocolate Cupcakes would be a yummy way to end the perfect family day out. They don’t take long to put together about 15 mins. I have made a few Coca cola cakes over the past year, check out the recipe for my Coca Cola Drizzle Loaf
These little chocolate cupcakes are rich and moist with a hint of cola flavour.
If you want more of a coke flavour you could use a Cola flavoured buttercream Hummingbird have a great recipe for that- you can check that out here
I’m sticking with the classics here and going for a rich vanilla frosting which is just perfect topping for the these rich chocolate cupcakes.
- 200g plain flour
- 250g caster sugar
- 125ml buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 125g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 175ml Coca-Cola
- 140g salted butter (at room temperature)
- 280g icing sugar (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon milk ½ tsp vanilla extract/paste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350f. Put paper cases in a muffin tray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt – (all the dry ingredients)
- Put the egg, buttermilk and vanilla in a jug and whisk gently.
- Place the butter, cocoa and Coca-Cola in a small and melt together. DO this very gently over a low heat DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour this liquid mixture into the dry mix, whisk with a wooden spoon.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla & egg mix into the mix and whisk together using a wooden spoon or an electric hand whisk .
- Pour the batter into the muffin liners or use an ice-cream scoop ...I filled these 2/3 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes. Leave to cool
- VANILLA BUTTERCREAM
- Using an electric hand whisk Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft & a pale colour
- Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar, vanilla extract and one tablespoon of the milk and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
- Put into piping bake and pipe swirls of buttercream on top of each cupcake.
- Decorate with some Christmas sprinkles or a candy cane.
Don’t forget to get your FREE copy of my new eBook “EASY BAKE CUPCAKES & CHOCOLATE TREATS” Click HERE for your free download link
If your stuck for BAKING CONVERSIONS. Click the Baking Conversions page tab at the top for a very helpful chart.
Hope you enjoy this yummy “Christmas” recipe!
Make sure you check out my FACEBOOK BAKING PAGE for more easy Christmas treats.