Today I’m talking Custard Creams. I’m sure there has been a packet or two in everybody’s biscuit tin at some point in time. I know a packet always finds its way into my weekly shop.
These tiny little “sandwich” biscuits are so addictive and have started so many arguments in my family, always about “which biscuit” is the king of the sandwich biscuits. We have two big favorites in our house “Custard Creams & Bourbon Biscuits” . We are currently split down the middle. Did you know that both biscuits date back to the 1900’s originating in Victorian Britain!
So what could be even more delicious than a custard cream biscuit. Well a Custard Cream Cupcake of course, the best of both worlds, a cake and biscuit in one delicious cupcake.
These really are super delicious, a moist vanilla sponge which includes custard powder, they are then filled with yummy custard. Now you could go all domestic goddess and make your own but why go to all that trouble when ready-made custard works just as well.
I filled the cupcakes after they are baked and gone cold, I find it just works better this way. Use a teaspoon to make a hole in the centre and pour the custard in.
A lovely rich vanilla buttercream is the perfect topping. I always use vanilla extract or paste when making buttercream. NEVER (and I can’t stress this hard enough) use vanilla essence in anything, it doesn’t contain any natural vanilla. I know vanilla extract is expensive but it is so worth it, it goes without saying that taste is everything when it comes to baking. The crowning glory of course is a custard cream biscuit sitting proudly on top with a drizzle of custard.
- 200g self-raising flour
- 225g butter
- 210g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 75g custard powder
- 50ml of milk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (bread soda/bicarb)
- pinch of salt
- 1 packet of custard cream biscuits
- 500g of ready made custard
- 175g butter, cut into large pieces
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 350g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f and line a cupcake tin with cupcake baking cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar and it turns light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, beating in between the addition of each egg.
- Add 50ml milk.
- Sift the flour, custard powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl and fold gently with a large metal spoon until everything is mixed.
- Fill each cupcake (about 3/4 of the way up) and bake for 18-20 mins, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire tray.
- When cold use a teaspoon removes a small bit of sponge from each cupcake and add 1- 2 tablespoon of custard to each.
- Beat the butter until its light & fluffy for 2 mins.
- Add vanilla extract, two tablespoons of the milk, and half the icing sugar to the large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Beat in the remaining icing sugar, and pour in the rest of the milk if needed to make the icing the right consistency.
- Using an icing bag pipe he vanilla icing in a swirl on each cupcake.
- Top each cupcake with a custard cream biscuit and a drizzle of custard (optional
Make sure you check out my FACE BOOK BAKING PAGE for more recipes