“A PARTY WITHOUT CAKE IS JUST A MEETING” – Julia Child
Coffee is one of my most absolute favorite things in the world. If I was asked just to bring three things to a desert island, they would be coffee, popcorn and my kindle.
Yes – I will put my hands up and admit I am a coffee addict. I’ll take it in any form – Americano, cappuccino, mocha, espresso any way is fine with me! I especially love using it in baking. Did you know that adding coffee to a chocolate cake brings out the chocolate flavour with out tasting the coffee! It really does work. I do this every time I’m baking a chocolate cake. I promise you won’t get a hint of coffee just a rich chocolate taste.
For this mocha recipe though, it’s all about the coffee flavour. I want every bite to hit you with that coffee taste first and then the smooth after taste of chocolate just like your favorite mocha.
My coffee plunger is a very essential bit of kit in my kitchen , right up there with “Henry” – my Kitchen Aid. I also have a posh coffee machine , coffee bean grinder, espresso pot , yes a lot of coffee paraphernalia. This recipe requires no big coffee fuss . I’m using my favorite instant coffee, yes I drink instant coffee lol. I told you coffee in any shape or form. Lavazza gives that great coffee bean flavour in an instant, perfect for this recipe.
But please just use what ever coffee you drink, don’t go out buy this specifically, you want the taste of YOUR favorite coffee
Muffins are one of the easiest things to bake –
You don’t need a mixer just a bowl and a gentle mix with a wooden spoon. They are the first small cake that I thought all my kids to bake even the boys. My eldest boy might not know how to use a “washing machine” yet lol but he can throw a muffin together!!
This is a very adaptable recipe, you could leave out the melted chocolate, and use chocolate chips or nuts – even nutella. Oh yes nutella and coffee now that’s a yummy combination. The addition of cinnamon gives it a little lift and I topped it off with melted chocolate. Of course a dollop of cream would work just as well.
The perfect treat for a coffee break
- 330g plain flour
- 100g plain chocolate chips
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 250ml milk
- 115g melted butter
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g melted chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400° F.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine milk and instant coffee. Mix until the coffee is dissolved.
- Mix in the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until all the flour is moistened. You don't want to over mix. Gently stir in Chocolate chip , Lumps are okay.
- Fill greased or lined muffin cups 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Spoon some melted chocolate on top for the perfect coffee & chocolate treat
If you look above you you will see a new page with great baking tips , this is the second one, so make sure you check out HERE for more
Hope you like the recipe, it is a very easy bake.
Make sure you check out my FACE BOOK BAKING PAGE for more recipes,