Four weeks to the big day and so the Christmas countdown has officially begun.
It seems like only yesterday we were putting the decorations up in the attic. Next week all the boxes will come down and someone named (Adam) will have to sit down and spend hours unravelling all the Christmas lights. So glad that’s not my job ha ha. I always leave the decorating to the hubby and the kids, while I get on with the Christmas baking – I definitely got the better part of the deal.
I’ve been so looking forward to sharing this fantastic Christmas recipe with you all. You are really going to love these Christmas Ice Cream Cone Cakes. OK, I know these Ice-Cream Cone Cakes are usually a summer thing but they also make really cute and delicious Christmas Treats and best of all they are SO simple to make.
I used my favourite vanilla cupcake recipe, split it into three bowls and mixed in green and red icing colours. It makes them a little more Christmassy. Put the wafer “Cup” cones in a cupcake tray. Add spoonfuls of green, red, and normal mix into each cone. Put the tray in the oven and bake for about 20mins.
When a recipe calls for vanilla extract and I don’t have of my own home-made to hand, I always use Nielsen-Massey paste or extract. These are made with pure vanilla beans and have a really natural vanilla flavour and taste. I absolutely can’t stress the next bit enough – NEVER EVER use vanilla essence . It’s made with nasty artificial stuff, not a vanilla bean in sight and has a horrible after taste.
For the “ice cream” topping, you can’t go wrong with a rich vanilla buttercream. I coloured 1/2 the buttercream green and used a 1M icing tip to swirl the icing on top for the Christmas tree “ice cream cone” effect. For the finishing touch, a shiny ribbon and some Christmas sprinkles did the trick.
These Christmas Ice Cream Cone Cakes will be a big hit with Santa. Topped with a rich vanilla buttercream and sprinkles. A really yummy Christmas treat.
- 175g softened butter
- 175g self-raising flour
- 175g caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or paste
- Red & green icing colouring paste
- 12 wafer cup cornets
- 175g butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 350g icing sugar, sifted
- Green icing colouring paste
- Christmas sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Place ice cream cone wafer cups in a cupcake tin.
- Put all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk or a wooden spoon until smooth and evenly mixed.
- Remove 2/3 of the mix and split into two bowls and add green coloring to one bowl, red to the second bowl. Using a tablespoon drop the red, green and normal mix into each cone until each wafer cone is 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen and firm on top. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Put the butter, vanilla extract, two tablespoons of the milk, and half the icing sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth. Beat in the remaining icing sugar, and ONLY pour in the rest of the milk if needed to make the icing the right consistency.
- Put half of the icing into another bowl and colour it green with a few drops of green coloring paste.
- Using an icing bag with a 1M tip, pipe swirls of the icing on top of 6 of the cones and the plain vanilla buttercream on the rest.
- Finish off with Christmas sprinkles.
PIN the recipe for later
If you like this recipe make sure your you check out my GINGERBREAD LATTE CUPCAKE
If your stuck for BAKING CONVERSIONS. Click the Baking Conversions page tab at the top for a very helpful chart.
Hope you enjoy this yummy “Christmas” recipe!
Make sure you check out my FACEBOOK BAKING PAGE for more easy Christmas treats.