One of the first things I ever baked in my Home Economics class in School was an Upside-Down Cake.
An Upside-Down Pineapple cake to be exact, made with tinned pineapple slices and dotted with red cherries in the middle of the rings.. what a classic. I think I must have made one every Sunday for dessert for about a year. My family must have been sick of the sight of it, but I thought it was the best cake ever invented.
I remember my Nana saying that it was the most exotic thing she ever tasted lol. I suppose to her generation pineapples would have been very exotic!!
This time however I’m not using any tinned pineapple in my Upside-Down Cake. I’m using one of my favorite ingredients – Blueberries.
Blueberries are in my opinion the best all round year berry. If I don’t have a fresh punnet in the fridge, I will always have a frozen bag in the freezer. They adapt brilliantly to all recipes especially tray bakes, muffins and scones. When I make muffins I always make half the muffin mixture blueberry (especially for me). The other half is usually chocolate chip. I have on many occasions when I’m short of time mixed both together. Blueberry & Chocolate is actually a very delicious combination!
Frozen blueberries work just as good as fresh , sweet and juicy bursting with nutrition.
Did you know there is only 80 calories in every 100g of blueberries so they are virtually fat-free!!. They are a great source of vitamin C and fiber whether frozen or fresh & rich in antioxidants, truly worthy of the title of a super fruit
This Blueberry Upside-Down recipe is very simple and filling, delicious in summer with a scoop of ice-cream and as equally yummy in winter with a dollop of fresh warm custard.
Blueberry Heaven on a plate.
Up-side Down Cakes always have that wow effect when you turn them out, so they are the perfect cake if you really want to impress someone with your baking skills. This particular cake is especially stunning with its almost caramelized blueberry topping
If any of the topping sticks to the cake tin just press it back in with a knife.
A delicious Blueberry Up-side Down Cake great in Summer or Winter
- 85g brown sugar
- 2tbsp butter
- 175g blueberries
- 195g Plain Flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 120g softened butter
- 200g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 180c
- To make the topping heat the brown sugar and 2 tbsp butter in a small saucepan. Cook until the butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Spray a 9" cake pan with cooking spray, and then pour the sugar and butter mixture into the pan to coat the bottom.
- Add the blueberries in a single layer on top of the sugar and butter mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to a bowl , gently whisk.
- Beat the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy, add the vanilla
- Beat the eggs in a cup and pour in half of the flour mixture to the batter and mix , add the rest of the flour and mix.
- Using a spatula transfer the cake batter to the pan and spread evenly over the blueberries.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes and the sponge is lightly brown and firm or a skewer comes out clean
- Let the cake cool for 10- 15 mins minutes before flipping very carefully onto a serving plate
If any part of the cake sticks to the pan, you can use a knife to place it back onto the top of the cake pressing it down gently.
If you like blueberries check out this recipe for a Blueberry & Lemon Curd Ring
SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG
[osd_subscribe categories=’cake,berries,’ placeholder=’Email Address’ button_text=’Subscribe Now!’]
🙂 please leave a COMMENT by clicking the comment bubble at the top of the post