I’m going to share one of my secret chocolate cake weapons with you all, this is guaranteed to turn a “grumpy teenage troll” into something that one resembled your child, trust me I have four of them. It’s a Double Chocolate Banana Loaf
So here we go its Monday Morning again and my two youngest have just left for school with two of the longest faces after their Easter Break, and I have to tell you that was the longest two weeks ever!!! The “I’m Bored” started the second day of the holidays and then the bickering and then full on WWE style fights over the XBOX. I suggested an Easter Camp – that went down like a Lead balloon but believe me if I could have found one I would have put them ALL in it.
Thankfully the weather improved and we got some much-needed sunshine that made the two “family” outings that we went on a little bearable, why did I think life was going to get easier when they got to their teens!!!!
Now there’s one thing guaranteed to get rid of Monday Blues and that’s Chocolate and if you can use up the few over-ripe spotty bananas left in the fruit bowl that nobody will touch “because not even Monkeys on hunger strike” would eat them, (wise words from a 14-year-old) all the better.
So I’m going to let this DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA LOAF work its magic. What’s brilliant about this is that its quick, easy and doesn’t use any fancy chocolate just a couple of bags of chocolate chips and good cocoa powder
No need for a mixer, a wooden spoon will do the job, mash a few bananas,melt the butter and choc chips and throw everything in to a bowl and gently stir and think of their lovely faces when they come in from a hard day at school and see the lovely treat you have waiting for them with a nice glass of cold milk – ok forget that we’re not in the 1950’s any more lol, I’m just thinking about the 10 mins peace I’ll get before the rows about homework start
“This is a brilliant recipe for using up Bananas whilst giving the kids a chocolate treat as well. It would keep for up to three days well wrapped but I guarantee you it won’t last even one day.”
- 3 medium large ripe bananas
- 120g butter, melted
- 85g brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 130g plain flour
- 50gCocoa Powder
- 1/2pkt each dark & milk, white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Spray a 9x5" loaf pan with non-stick baking spray or line it with baking paper
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl. Whisk in the melted butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Sift in the baking soda, salt, flour, and cocoa powder and stir mixture with a wooden spoon just until incorporated. Then gently stir in the chocolate chips (Milk & Dark)
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt white chocolate chips and drizzle over Cooled Loaf.